Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Zucchini Pasta with Vegan Pesto Sauce


I wish pasta was good for you.  I would eat it every single day but alas it is not meant to be.  Zucchini pasta is a good alternative. You have to go into it knowing it will never ever taste like pasta.  If you have that mentality going into it you won't be disappointed and realize its not half bad.  
I used a spiralizer to make the pasta but you can absolutely use a mandolin or julienne peeler.  Recently I bought my spiralizer and I can't stop using it.  The zucchini does resemble pasta and you can twirl it onto your fork like pasta too.  I use the the Benriner cook helper slicer.  It's a bit smaller then other spiralizers which is great for my little kitchen.  You can buy yours on Amazon


Zucchini Pasta with Vegan Pesto Sauce

2-3 large zucchini, spiralized or juliened
Handful of grape tomatoes

Vegan Pesto Sauce

1 large bunch of basil, about 1 1/2 cups
1/4 walnuts, pecans, or pine nuts
1 Tbsp miso paste
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Place all ingredients for pesto sauce but olive oil into food processor and blend.  Once blended add olive oil.  For unused portion place in jar and top with a little olive oil and will keep in the refrigerator for a week or two. 

2. Use 2-3 tablespoons or sauce and mix with 'pasta' until softened.  Mix in tomatoes.  




No comments:

Post a Comment